READING, WHY IS IT IMPORTANT?

"Reading takes you to places that no plane, train, car, movie or TV programme can - into the very depth of your own imagination.  It informs you mentally, culturally and emotionally like nothing else and the very best books stay with you forever".  That's what a good friend of mine said when I asked her why she loved reading books so much.

Until two years ago, I had probably read willingly just one book and perhaps another half-a-book in my life (what I read as a student doesn't count, I think).  I had a juvenile mind that only wanted to have fun, go on holiday, go out with friends, the obvious occupations of a young mind.

I used to look at people reading like they were wasting their time.  I thought they were boring or nerdy but the truth was they were nourishing and expanding their awareness. They loved reading and I didn't; I didn't understand.   A book cannot give you life experience as it must be lived; but it certainly can engage your imagination, your feelings, and your thoughts. One of my favorite books – The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

Reading is the key to knowledge, mind expansion and self-education but also escapism through imagination.  My boyfriend always encouraged me to read but I always used to say - "It's boring and I don't like reading".  In truth I just wasn't interested in learning by myself, I was lazy to read, I would learn through what I'd hear or watch on the TV and as a result my knowledge was limited.

"The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn the more places you'll go".  - Dr. Seuss, I Can Read With My Eyes Shut!-

It also helps improve your grammar, your vocabulary and you will be teaching yourself new things.

People's knowledge and opinions aren't enough to develop your mind, what they know is their knowledge not yours, you could never fully understand something until you read about it and experience it yourself.

Not reading at all may limit your possibilities and achievements; we are humans with fully functioning minds that are waiting to be filled with ideas, knowledge and experiences; we are meant to feed our brains, ask questions and wonder - how is that possible?  We aren't sheep following the herd, having an opinion and personal knowledge makes you unique and interesting.


Choosing to read is a key to success in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment